Saturday, October 3, 2015

Pile of Art

I always like looking at other peoples stuff so here's some of mine. 

This is the majority of my art collection. It's in no particular order. 

(Also if any artist who's work appears here wants me to take it down just yell at me.)


By Cathy G. Johnson

During the Baltimore protests over Freddie Gray's death Cathy offered free drawings to anyone that donated to a bail fund for protesters. I thought that was a good idea and so here is the drawing i got.


By Ben Urkowitz.

This was a commission from a few months ago. Ben suggested using the "Gary Panter" short prompt for coming up with a piece, so i picked a quote from Godards Masculine Feminine "This film could be called The Children of Marx and Coca-Cola." My favorite part is that they're pepsi logo's and not coke.



By Sammy Harkham

This is the original pencils to the cover of Comics Comics 3. Comics Comics is pretty big for me, and Sammy Harkham is even bigger so this seemed like an ideal purchase.


By Sean Phillips

I was really into The Invisibles in college.


By Cliff Chiang

This was bought before all that Brian Wood stuff came out...and also him working with Brian Scabby Scab Watchmen. I still enjoy Chaing's work, but he should really stop working with people named Brian.




By Andrew White

I got one of these as an up-charge for buying This Is A Brick Wall and the other for pre-ordering his book M. I enjoy how White is playing around with the overlaying of panels / symbols in his art.


By Blaise Larmee

This was one of the early rewards for pre-ordering 2DClouds fall collection. There were about five or six different prints you could pick and this seemed like the one least likely to cause strange conversations when hung on a wall.


By Conor Stechschulte

Conor posts these really beautiful water color paintings on Tumblr that he charges way to little for. This is one of them.


By Liz Prince

I *think* this is the first commission i ever got at a con. It's of Mad Man if you couldn't tell.


By Josh Simmons 

This is from one of Josh Simmons mini's for Oily Comics. It's a quintessential Simmons page, meaning it's exploration of power dynamics scares the living shit out of me.

By Josh Simmons

I came home from classes one day to a random email from Josh Simmons asking if I'd be willing to trade a stack of Jack Kirby 2001 comics for a painting. If you couldn't guess i accepted the trade.


By Julia Gfrorer 

This is one of Julia Gfrorer's very reasonably priced $40 "small" commissions. It's a still from Carl Theodor Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc. My favorite part of this piece is Julia's ability to capture the grace and underlining sorrow in Maria Falconetti's eyes.


By Jason Overby

If you were one of the first 20 buyers of Jason's new book The Being Being you got a small little drawing. The books good enough to buy without the added bonus of a drawing though.


By Ryan Cecil Smith 
 
Random package filler. I like the colors.
By Michel Fiffe 

Michel's been doing these pre-colored sketchcard/canvas's at cons recently that always look amazing. So when he offered a limited number on his website i snatched one up. It's of Lone Wolf. Although the eyes of Meifumado should have already given that away.

By Charles Forsman.

Chucks one of my favorite cartoonists out there. Captain Easy's one of my favorite characters of all time. So yeah....


By Gary Panter

I got this from the Santoro silent auctions going on right now. It was a "i doubt i'll win it but might as well try" bet that ended up going my way miraculously.


By Josh Bayer

Josh Bayer will pretty much throw a giant ink drawing in with any purchase from his site. That dude's an art machine. This one came with his book on horror comics/horror cartoonists Birth of Horror.

By Lala Alberts

I like that Lala's work has an uncomfortable relationship towards identity and sex.


By John Pham

This is a print you got if you ordered Epoxy #4 from John through some weird paypal exchange i'm still not sure how i heard about. I think it was mentioned on Comic Books are Burning in Hell.

By Frank Santoro 

Santoro comes from the Copacetic Comics tradition of being an excellent packer of postal goods. This was drawn on the cardboard surrounding the Brian Chippendale piece shown bellow. As a heads up to any cartoonists i will keep any postal item you doodle on.

By Brian Chippendale 

Another "i guess i might as well try and bet on it" item from the aforementioned Santoro auctions. Based on the description i guess it's a sketch of Frank bartering with people over old comics at SPX a few years ago.


By Ryan Cecil Smith

This was a t-shirt design for the band Shiggy Jr. I have no clue who the band is but i liked the art enough to buy it.

By Sam Alden 

Sam has to be one of the top four people doing comics right now, and he's definitely the best person working in pencils. This is fan art of Sayoko Hagiwara. It's drawn on some kind of paper i've never felt before that's super light and fragile feeling. I'm grateful it survived the drawing process.

You can buy a sweater with the image on it to if you are so inclined.


By Julia Gfrorer 

My blog refuses to let me invert this picture, but it's of Gfrorer's $10 surprise postcard drawings. I like how they just show up in your mailbox without the gravitas of packaging. They're just postcards.That's all.

By Ines Estrada

Ines kind of ripped of Julia Gfrorer's postcard idea, but it's a good idea so *shrugs*


by GG

This drawing was on a random card inserted into my first order from GG's webstore. I always love when artists do that.


By Nou

This is an original drawing on a sticker. Like the postcard drawings i mentioned above, i kind of love the idea of original drawings on throw away objects. The sticker invokes the idea of a comics panel while relying solely on the reader to place it into a specific sequence among other objects. Also as an art object it implicitly creates the idea of the item being a "collectible" rather than a piece of "art" to be collected. It becomes a pog, not a Picasso. Whether or not it's left stuck or not.

By Helen Jo

Helen Jo draws the coolest people you never want to come across. This is a print of some of those people.


By Uno Moralez.

Man, what the fuck is Uno Moralez up too.

These are limited edition prints that were available with Frontier #1. As you move around the physical space of the print the image changes, replicating Moralez's gif artwork to a degree print will never be able to achieve.

They're as cool as you would think.



By Charles Forsman

These are my favorite two pages from possibly my favorite single issue ever. Forsman's line is so alive here that it just makes you feel like a teenager dancing the night away after drinking stolen vodka in a house you shouldn't be in.

By Jason 

I have no clue how i came to own this.

By Adrian Tomine 

This sits 2ft away from my air conditioner. It reminds me of hot summers and clean sheets.


By CF

I got this print during the Picture-Box going out of business sale. I wish I'd bought more stuff during that...

Anyways the colors on this print are amazing.


By Chris Samnee 

Samnee had a sketch blog a few years ago where he sold his warm up sketches. This one is of Guy Davis The Marquis. It's pretty awesome.

By Sean Murphy

I got this around the time Punk Rock Jesus was coming out at a convention. Murphy can draw, you gotta give him that.
By Benjamin Marra.

Ben Marra drawing Dalton and Doc from Roadhouse. You're welcome for making this exist.

By Ryan Kelly.

I have a soft spot for Ryan Kelly art.
By Jeff Lemire 

This is the first piece of original art i ever bought. It's also the first piece of original art most people comment upon seeing in my house.

Jeff Lemire was so good for a bit there. Remember Essex County and Lost Dogs...what happened.

By Mickey Z

This is the second page to Mickey Z's story in Thickness #2. Thickness #2 may be the best single issue of an anthology ever and this story is one of its highlights. I love that Z places her word balloons inside of her figures mouths, creating an almost breathless quality to their reading. This page is so dense and yet so readable.
By Alex Robinson 

I read Box Office Poison at the perfect time to fall super in love with Box Office Poison.
By Aidan Koch 

The way the shades of blue interact in this piece has always fascinated me. I don't think i have more to say than that.
By Jonny Negron 

Just classic Jonny Negron.
By Chuck Forsman.

I don't think I described this commission past James and Alyssa being in it and Chuck nailed everything i wanted out of it.

This is a con commission, i pretty much just said draw whatever you want. It turned out pretty well.




3 comments:

  1. nice collection! damn, i should rip off julia's idea again hehe! it really is a cool way to mail art. fun fact: did you know i printed those uno moralez postcards in Mexico? yeeaaahhh

    ReplyDelete